Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Allyson's First Book....

Many of you may think that I am crazy for feeling this way, but this is my first time having a child in school. It has been many years since I have waited for this moment. Yep, that moment of your anxiety of parent/ teacher conferences. I attended my first one last week with Allyson's teacher Mrs. Duncan. Now, many of you would probably think that kindergarten is a breeze, well if you had a cool teacher. Well, here is the issue, I am really game for old school teaching. There is a lot of good that could come out of that, but I was skeptical just because of the way that Ally learns. Well, I was pleasently surprised when I got nothing but great reports back from Mrs. Duncan. Allyson is a great student, listens well, follows directions, and is a great reader. WHAT???? She is reading already? I asked. Allyson read her first book to the entire class this week at school! I couldn't have been any more proud of her. She is a leader in the group reading and she is definitely an "A" student. I am so proud of her. She works very hard in class and even brought home a solo certificate that states she sang a solo in music class. I am really amazed with her studious endevours. She has been nominated as a student of the week and a star student in her class. GO ALLYSON~! We are so proud of you!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Allyson! Reading is a big thing. Laurel, I'm glad she's doing great. I've been taken aback by a parent/teacher conference, too. Last year A.J.'s 1st grade teacher started off with "he's an exceptional student." I mean, every parent thinks that about their kid, but to have a teacher actually tell you that is often surprising. I'm with you, though on not really knowing what's going on with them while they're at school. I guess it's part of learning to grow up as parents...gotta let them go. Sounds like you are doing great!

TheRapunzelGirl said...

that is SO exciting! congrats to allyson, and congrats to you for doing all the work to prepare her for success in kindergarten!

Unknown said...

/oh /ye of little faith...hahaha! Never doubt that even when they appear not to be listening or learning that you, as parents, are their measuring stick.