Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Let Children Be Children

My little soap box:

I think that maybe I had better write some of my feelings down! So my daughter tells me that her school principal got on the intercom at school and told everyone on Monday Nov. 3 that Barack Obama won the race! Now, correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the election on Nov. 4? How in heaven's name did this man know that? Then I find out that in school today, her teacher passed out pictures of President Obama and decides to teach politics to a class of 5 year old children that should know nothing about presidential campaigning at this age.

Now, maybe I am not understanding enough to know, why my 5 year old daughter is having to learn about campaigns and world issues and gay rights. My understanding was that I am sending my child to school to learn how to read and write and spell. Has our world changed that much for me to want to switch schools because of the violence and lack of discipline at her school or pull her out of school period? Maybe I am over reacting, but something as adult as political issues? Seriously, Let children be children. We are already rushing them to know so much in this dispensation!

So today my daughter brings home this picture of Barack Obama colored very well with markers and crayons and this was the conversation:

Mom: "Who is this?"
Her reply:, "Mommy it is Borack Obama, my teacher says that we can't call him that anymore." me: "What are we supposed to call him?"
Her: "President Obama, my teacher says that he is a great man and will do alot to the country to help us. Nobody knows that he is a bad man and that he is going to hurt us."
Mom: "Your right, but he isn't a bad man. He is our President and we have to respect him and we must obey his laws"
Her: "Does he have to follow the commandments?"
Mom: "Well, not everybody knows the commandments, but hopefully he does follow them."
Her: "Why is he a bad man mommy?"
Mom: "He isn't a bad man, he just has different choices that he has made."


I know that this is all part of the Lord's plan, but I am a nervous wreck at how fast this is all happening! But I know that I will be okay! I am so grateful that I have a testimony of this church and that as long as we stand firm in our beliefs and stay strong in our testimonies, we will overcome this and we will be closer to our Father in Heaven. I know that when we call upon the Lord for guidance and council, he will truly be there as long as we do our part! Our children are the future leaders of the church, it is my prayer and my hope that I can teach my children how to be strong leaders in this world and to be able to stand as a witness of God at all times and in all places. I will do all that I can to teach them about testimonies and the importance of following the commandments and morals and hope that they will have a love of the scriptures and for the gospel as much as I do. I want them to know that I have made mistakes in this world and I know that we can be forgiven as long as we repent and are humble in our hearts and minds. Really, they are little children!

0 comments: